Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Scalloped Hashbrowns


First - a big thanks to Pixie for our first blogging award. Much to our excitement, she passed along this excellent award:



I also wanted to make mention of the link we added near the top of our sidebar. If you click on the Tried, Tested and True icon (pictured below), it will take you to the roundup.



The event was a great success for us. Giz and I are "in talks" about a future event.

Now...on to today's recipe.

This month's Homegrown Gourmet features potatoes.



I first tried this dish about 5 years ago. R's friend's mother made this dish for a wedding rehearsal dinner. I spent the next year following first trying this dish asking my friend for the recipe. He finally got it from his mom and sent it along. This dish reminds me of a fairly typical style of food I eat when in R's hometown. Except this tastes good.

Ok..that was mean.

It's not the healthiest dish in the world, but I consider it a bit of a treat and only make it once or twice per year. I don't know the actual name of this dish, so I'll call it scalloped hashbrowns.

Scalloped Hashbrowns



1 - 2lb bag of frozen hash browns
1 - 500 ml sour cream (I use plain yogurt)
2 - 10 oz cans of Cream of Mushroom soup (may try to cut this down to one - 10oz can)
1/2 cup melted butter
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
pince of salt - taste
onion flakes - to taste
parmesan cheese - to taste

Directions: Thaw hashbrowns (I don't usually do much of this). Mix first 7 ingredients. Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top (I also sprinkle the grated cheddar cheese on top). Bake at 350F for 1-1.5 hours.

StumbleUpon

12 comments:

Cakebrain said...

I think my daughter would love this dish! It's got everything she loves.

Tempered Woman said...

Too funny- I was going to say the exact same thing as cakebrain. My monkey would love this. Around here we call it Hashbrown Casserole. So good but SO not healthy. heh
Thanks for the great entry!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I agree that your event was a great success. I call these potatoes potluck potatoes. Someone always brings them and I am grateful.I love them:D

That Girl said...

I'm sad that everyone seems to have already tried this dish but me - it looks fantastic!

Neen said...

Giggle. So where is R's hometown? Looks an awful lot like rural Alabama to me :) And your event WAS great, I'm looking forward to the next permutation.

PG said...

neen - it's probably the equivalent of Canada's Alabama.

Ruth Strong said...

Hey Psychgrad, great entry for HG. Although I'm Irish and have potato almost every day I still haven't come up with a dish for this! lol

Anyways Bookmarked Recipes has a weekly round up every Monday. Details are here: http://justaddeggs.blogspot.com/2008/04/bookmarked-recipes-blog-event.html

Hope you can join in sometime.

test it comm said...

Creamy hash browns with a layer of melted golden brown cheese on top sound really good.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I think my heart just skipped a beat. Deep fried sodium goodness!

Elle said...

You just can't go wrong with potatoes, sour cream, and cheese!

Rosie said...

Your event was really great and such a success!! Just loving your hash brownies too :)

Rosie x

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

mmm...these hashbrowns look great!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark