Saturday, April 26, 2008

Not for the Faint of Heart


I've been priviledged this week to have the company of a very dear friend from the western provinces. We don't see one another often enough but when we do it's a total foodie extravaganza. I actually think she's more insane than I am and certainly a far more adventurous soul than I am.

When "L" arrived, we created a plan to visit the food hot spots of our great city, to tour the areas of interest and to try new things. She's been here for 3 days and we're both dead exhausted but having a terrific time. It's fun to have a like minded person around who likes spending time in fresh markets, grocery stores, spice stores, fish stores, cheese stores, ethnic markets and not least of all chocolate shops. "L" is a bit of a dark chocolate maven. The unfortunate thing is that good dark chocolate is hugely expensive and like good wine is something to be savoured. So when I say let's get a chocolate bar and I pick up a Mars bar "L" goes into facial twitches. I am learning. You don't break off a chunk of chocolate and say "mmm that was good".... I'm learning to break a small square into a gazillion pieces and to allow each piece to teach me something. So far I'm still trying to get over spending $12. on a chocolate bar which apparently is a moderate price range. I'm sorry, I've already digressed.

On one of our excursions, we stopped into a Vietnamese Pho restaurant - one I had never tried and judging by how busy it was, we suspected it would be a good find. We were right. Absolutely incredible Pho soup. "L" had the seafood noodle pho




and I had the wonton noodle pho



This is where the "not for faint of heart comes in". While we were sitting in the restaurant thoroughly enjoying our experience, a truck drove up and parked directly in front of our table just outside the restaurant. (of course - it's not going to park inside the restaurant). A man came around the side of the truck, threw open the doors and much to our shock, here's the site that greeted us.




I mean we all know that pork doesn't just appear but somehow when it becomes this up front and personal, it seems to take on a whole new meaning. After I got over the initial shock of it all, I just couldn't resist taking this shot:



I wondered a bit about how the man was planning to transport his stock. Well...here you have it:

StumbleUpon

13 comments:

April was in CA now MA said...

Oy vey....that gives new meaning to "pork butt". I'm not too sure I could have finished my lunch after seeing that in person! EEEEK!

Katie B. said...

Whoa! I'm not sure how I feel about there being trucks out there with animals dangling in them... Your lunchtime surprise does make a great story, though! :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am glad we don't have to butcher our own meat..I would definitely be more of a vegetarian. Glad you enjoyed your friends visit:D

Elle said...

Awww, poor little pigs. Guess I can't be surprised, though, like you said--pork doesn't just appear.

Anonymous said...

Oh gawd, talk about appetite killer, I mean seriously...Bleck!

Anonymous said...

Great pictures! I kind of like seeing this stuff. Too many people/kids really do NOT know where meat come from - which animal. also, they don't know the name of vegetables. that's a whole other story. this is a great post!

Cakelaw said...

The wonton noodle pho looks devine. Those poor pigs - not a very dignified end!

Núria said...

What a wonderful time you had Giz! I would have enjoyed that day a lot too!!! You are welcome to spend it over here when you wish :D

Great Pork shots!!!

OhioMom said...

I remember the first time I took my then young children to a poultry market where they killed and cut up the chickens ... my children were horrified. I had to explain to them that the chicken in plastic at the grocer did not drop dead of a heart attack ... LOL !

Great photos !!

Melissa said...

it doesn't bother me, but it would be a bit of a jolt at the end of lunch.

PHOOOOOOO. love it so much. I'm glad I live where I do (orange county, CA) because there is a huge vietnamese population in north OC and we have authentic pho joints for miles.

Anonymous said...

Your meal looks delicious, but unfortunately I can't say the same for that pork bu.. showing up! I prefer my pork already dressed up and pretty on the plate...now that'll have the "think Green club" all over me1
Fun post!
Ronell

Cannelle Et Vanille said...

Pork, pork, pork everywhere... gotta love that!

Neen said...

I'm so amused. What a hoot!
I'm so glad you had your camera ready.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark