Tuesday, April 1, 2008
My mother, who loves to shop at her local fresh market, is always on the lookout for cases of mangoes when they're on sale. Whoever is on the top of her list, gets a case of mangoes. We always thank her profusely for such a wonderful find but frankly, what can I really do with a full case of mangoes that are fully ripe. Psychgrad had a brilliant idea - slice them, freeze them and use them for smoothies. So one full container is frozen - smoothies anyone? The second container full inspired me to make some mango bread. I had a recipe - somewhere - and after some hunting was able to pull it out of one of my recipe boxes.
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups diced mangoes
1/4 cup walnuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup coconut, shredded
1. Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together.
2. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
3. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, nuts, coconut and mangoes to the well and mix well (mix well in the well - how confusing is that?)
4. Divide mix into 2 greased 8x4x2 loaf pans
5. Let stand for 20 minutes before baking
6. Bake in 350 F oven for one hour.