Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Mango Bread




My mother, who loves to shop at her local fresh market, is always on the lookout for cases of mangoes when they're on sale. Whoever is on the top of her list, gets a case of mangoes. We always thank her profusely for such a wonderful find but frankly, what can I really do with a full case of mangoes that are fully ripe. Psychgrad had a brilliant idea - slice them, freeze them and use them for smoothies. So one full container is frozen - smoothies anyone? The second container full inspired me to make some mango bread. I had a recipe - somewhere - and after some hunting was able to pull it out of one of my recipe boxes.

Ingredients:

2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 cup cooking oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 cups diced mangoes
1/4 cup walnuts (I used pecans)
1/2 cup coconut, shredded

Process:



1. Sift flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together.
2. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.



3. Add eggs, oil, vanilla, sugar, nuts, coconut and mangoes to the well and mix well (mix well in the well - how confusing is that?)


4. Divide mix into 2 greased 8x4x2 loaf pans



5. Let stand for 20 minutes before baking
6. Bake in 350 F oven for one hour.

StumbleUpon

13 comments:

Peter M said...

OKay now, this blog is getting 3-generational? Let me get this straight...we have Giz here speaking of her mom, who would be Psychgrad's grandma?

If so, well...can you blame her for wanting to hoard what is now the most consumed fruit?

This cake would be a huge in this Spring when the mangos seem to flood the markets here.

PG said...

Now you've got it Peter. Maybe I'll something on the sidebar to help people out.

RecipeGirl said...

Could you really taste the mango much after it was cooked? I just made a bread with pureed mango in it recently and it more added moisture to the bread rather than flavor.

giz said...

recipegirl - I think pureed mango would get lost but because it's diced in this recipe you do get bites of it throughout
Peter - if Psychgrad had a child we could actually go 4 generational - think of the possibilities

That Girl said...

My mom is deathly allergic to mangoes so I never had one until I went away to college. I feel woefully behind on "using mangoes in recipes".

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

I bet that was really moist! Yum!

test it comm said...

Mango bread sounds like a great idea! Mangos are so good but you need to use them quickly. I never though about freezing them.

giz said...

Ben - 30 kg is a whack of mangoes -I'm surprised your heart didn't stop from all the potassium.

Pixie said...

Here you go ladies,

http://www.angelfire.com/tx/CZAngelsSpace/MangoRecipes.html

lol, I bought myself a large case of clementines yesterday. I'm starting with a cake today.

Larissa said...

Ooooooh! Mangoes just went on sale at my grocery store. I just might make this later this week.

giz said...

Pixie - thanks - that's very cool -I didn't even think of some of these versatile ways of making mango

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm mango bread delicious. I need to try baking more with mangoes!

Rosie said...

Mango bread now this does sound interesting and being diced I bet there are lovely little chunks of mango flavour.

Rosie x

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark