Saturday, September 13, 2008

Apple Strudel



It's official - apple season is open. I know this because every year baba wants apples. She has her favourite farm to go to and she's probably his best 100 lb customer (that's 100 lbs of apples). Last year the apples were not to her liking and we heard about it right up until yesterday. Now they're too expensive but they're good. Each of my siblings (there are 4 of us) have heard the "apple story" at least twice and I'm certain we'll have the expensive apple story imprinted on our brains.

I put my thinking cap on and came to the conclusion that if baba were to get something delicious made out of the apples, it might give her a sense that it was really a good idea to get the apples. So I made strudel.

Ingredients

4-5 large apples (I used Macintosh)
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 cup raisins (good to soak them and plumb them a little)
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
6 sheets phyllo pastry
1/4 cup melted butter

Method:

1. Peel and slice apples thinly and place in bowl
2. Add juice of 1/2 lemon and 1 tsp cornstarch - mix through apples
3. Add raisins, walnut pieces, dessicated coconut
4. Use 3 sheets of phyllo per strudel lightly brushing butter on each sheet


5. On long side add filling approximately 1/2 - 3/4 inch from the end. Fold sides in and roll

6. Brush butter on top and sprinkle with sugar

7. Bake at 400 F for approximately 30 minutes


Here's what I learned:
1. Soaking the raisins in something flavourful like apple juice or a mild flavoured liquor gives the strudel umph.
2. If your phyllo is sticking together, don't just take 2 instead of one and figure it's fine - it makes a difference to the texture of the final outcome.
3. Scoring the phyllo before baking helps to reduce the crumble effect after baking.
4. The little bit of sugar on top takes it to another level.
5. If you do none of the above in tips, it still tastes good. StumbleUpon

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely--great idea to use phyllo! The pic reminds me of my aunt's strudel (though she did a pastry by hand that was stretched across the kitchen table--quite something! I think the phyllo is more my speed.)

Anonymous said...

You are so good, but you KNOW you will not stop hearing about the expensive apples...you know that. I know you know that.

Ivy said...

I could eat anything having phyllo outside but I also love apples as well. I might make this tomorrow.

Bunny said...

I've never used phyllo dough before,but I'm gonna get some this week for the apples I have in the fridge. This looks so good!! Thanks for the tips,your strudel looks nice and flakey! Great Job!!

Hopie said...

I LOVE apple season, autumn in general (helps that my birthday is in October), and especially everything apple-related!

kat said...

Oh yum, I've never made apple strudel, I always seem to end up going for the easy crisp but I know Matt would really like this so I should go for it. The MN Honeycrisps will be in season soon!

The Blonde Duck said...

Oh, sweet heavens. All I can picture is my German grandmother shouting "Strudel!" I'm drooling, I'm drooling...

OhioMom said...

Oh delish! I have phyllo in the freezer and a big basket of pears, now I know what I am going to bake this week!

Lucky Baba :)

giz said...

Kat - I love honeycrisps - they're totally bib worthy but I think they might be too juicy in a strudel unless you add cornstarch

Patsyk said...

The strudel is a perfect way to enjoy the delicious apples... no matter how much they cost!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

The strudel looks fantastic. I love it when apple season comes around!!

Cakespy said...

Amazing-looking strudel!! I love the phyllo twist too...I'll bet that is a wonderful combination of textures. Total yum!

shambo said...

Your strudel looks wonderful. A perfect dessert for anytime, but especially for the beginning of autumn.

Anonymous said...

Yum. Thanks for the detailed step by step. Some things are just best taught through pictures :)

Elle said...

Wow! That looks amazing! i like the tips at the end!

Adam said...

Hey, look... a ROLLED dessert that came out perfect! I'm very happy for you :)

But seriously, apple strudel is a wonderful fall treat. It's so crispy and delicious. It's a show off dessert for me :)

grace said...

i've never actually tasted apple strudel, but i know it must be good because it's one of maria's favorite things on the sound of music. a crisp apple strudel, to be exact. :)
nice work.

Peter M said...

On my way back from Greece, I spent an evening in Vienna and ya know I had strudel. This stands up to anything I saw there.

Deborah said...

Yay for apple season! This looks delish!

Ruth Strong said...

Yummmm apple strudel.... perfect recipe for the start of apple season

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Apple strudel will convince Baba I'm sure of it:D

Cakelaw said...

I love apfel strudel - my mouth is watering just looking at the pics.

glamah16 said...

My favorite. I love apples and all the desserts, especially strudel.

Lucy..♥ said...

Giz, this looks sooo good!! I happen to have 2 packages of phyllo in the freezer.. I'll be off to the farm for some apples!! I've declare this is a must!!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark