Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Peach Melba Dessert Muffins



A friend was visiting the other day and said she needed a "fix" of Winners/Home Sense. This combination of stores is owned by the same company and carries a variety of hit and miss clothing and home decorating items. I like browsing through their mark down shelves to see what little goodies I can find. I happened upon a few (new to me) cookbooks and when an interesting looking cookbook is marked down from $20. to $5.99, how is it even remotely possible to say no? One of the books I picked up is called "The 250 Best Muffin Recipes" by Esther Brody. Flipping through the book, I saw a few recipes that spoke to me. The rest is history.

Peach Melba Dessert Muffins

Preheat oven to 400F (200 C)
12-cup muffin tin, greased or paper-lined

Ingredients

1 cup diced peaches
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
2 tbsp. brandy
Raspberry jam

1. In a bowl combine peaches and cinnamon, set aside


2. In another bowl sift togther flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add walnuts; blend well. Make a well in the center
3. In another bowl whisk together egg, milk, butter and brandy. Add peach mixture; blend well. Add to dry ingredients, stir just until moist.


4. Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling half full. Add about 1 tsp (5 ml) raspberry jam;


cover with remaining batter.


Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes.




These muffins must have been excellent - they lasted 25 minutes. We're shipping this recipe over to Soli at Heart and Hearth who is sponsoring this week's Bookmarked Recipes.


Bookmarked Recipes, regularly hosted by Ruth from Ruth's Kitchen Experiments is a fun place to share the recipes you've starred, tagged, or seen somewhere and having been really wanting to try. StumbleUpon

22 comments:

kat said...

Those sound so good. I had to laugh because I'm making peach melba cupcakes today, its like we are on the same wavelength

alexandra's kitchen said...

oh my. i have about 2 pounds of peaches surrounded by fruit flies sitting on my counter. I think this recipe is calling my name. looks incredible!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This is a great combination for muffins! I thought I'd be able to get a pasta dish in but it looks like I am going to have to pass this time...sorry:(

Nic said...

Oh they wouldn't last that long in my house, we would be scarfing them down too!

Deborah said...

I wouldn't have been able to pass up the cookbook - or these muffins!!!

Elle said...

Oh, they look fabulous! Bookmarking these! And i think I'll start hunting for that book to keep up with my muffin addiction. You guys--you're muffin enablers! hehe!

Elle said...

Well, Amazon has it. For $18.95!! sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is cool, I love thse flavors, looks perfect for the weekend or anyday who am I kidding.

Ivy said...

I know what you mean. I made a peach cake a few days ago and it was so good.

Peter M said...

I love jammy surprises like these. Timmy Ho's sells muffins like these. Now we can make'em at home.

Adam said...

25 minutes, I'm even surprised they lasted THAT long :)

I love the raspberry jam surprise in the muffins, it's like an added awesome bonus. Very, very enticing, and they look perfect :)

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Brandy in a muffin hey!! Im trying this one out!

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm loving this - I'm going to have to give these a try! Seriously!

-DTW
www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

Deeba PAB said...

Irresistible...what yummy looking muffins. I'm gonna sit right here & drool forever since our peaches have long gone!! Am sure the book was a great buy!!

Bunny said...

These muffins look so soft ,you 've gotta love that ! Sounds like you gotta a keeper in that cookbook find!

Hopie said...

Wow, those muffins look amazingly good! Peaches and raspberries are a great combo and I love the idea of putting the jam in the middle. Good bargain on the cookbook -- especially for recipes like that!

Darius T. Williams said...

Hi - I did the presto pasta night - but for some reason the e-mail keeps coming back undeliverable.

grace said...

melba is such a fun name. perhaps i'll name my first daughter melba. perhaps not. maybe just my next pet. :)

OhioMom said...

Those look delish! I have peaches and pears, and with your last two desserts I have to decide which one to make :)

Anonymous said...

Aaaah! These look amazing!

*runs off to bake*

+Jessie
a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

Rosie said...

Oh my these look and sound so scrummy - it makes me want to get in my kitchen to bake some now!

Rosie x

~~louise~~ said...

Hi, I found your blog in my Hospitality Search Engine which means I must have been here before. Boy oh boy, I must say, I sure am glad I found my way back. Such FUN!!!

The reason you popped up in my search engine was because I am seeking recipe links to include in a post I am doing for National Peach Melba Day tomorrow. (Jan. 13, 2010) I'm a bit behind schedule but was wondering if you would mind very much if I included this link. I'd LOVE to include the pic too, which I would of course link back to you. That last image is so darn tantalizing, I am now hungry and it's bed time!! (I will of course not use the pic without your permission)

Thank you so much for sharing, Louise acalenda [at] gmail [dot] com

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark