Friday, September 12, 2008

Petit Patty Pan Patties


This post is feeling very dejected. It deserved swift, full recognition, but got put on the back burner unjustifiably. So, let me make it up by giving my Patty Pan Patties, or fritters if you prefer, their due time in the limelight.

Not to mention, after all of the cake we’ve been making, I could use a vegetable post. The inspiration from this dish comes from the patty pan squash I bought.

squash

After grilling it on the bbq, which was tasty, I didn’t know what else to do with it. So, I figured I would give grating it a try.

squash2

Truth be told, I don’t remember what exactly went into these fritters (hanging head in shame – it was that long ago). But, here are the basic components:

8 patty pan squash

1/2 cup of parmesan cheese

1/4 parsley

kernels from one ear of corn

1/4 cup of bread crumbs

1 egg

salt & pepper, to taste

mix1

Blend together and form fritters. Fry in about 3-4 tbsp of olive oil.

before

after1

I also made a cherry tomato dressing. My memory is also vague on this one. I know I cut the tomatoes in half, cooked them with garlic, salt and pepper and maybe a splash of white wine.

final2

Good meal all around. I'm kind of craving some more right now.



I'm submitting the fritters to Culinarty's Original Recipe Event.

A few exciting tidbits:

-I’m planning a cooking weekend, so I’m sure we’ll have more to share with you soon. Not to mention an A+ birthday cake I made for R’s birthday.

- We went to a restaurant that would definitely make my favourite restaurant list (not that I have a specific list). I’ll tell you all about that soon.

- We’re hosting Presto Pasta Nights next week! More details to come.

- Now that Giz has unpacked most of her boxes, she sent out the awards for our 2nd Tried, Tested and True event!

- The pairings for the 2nd Adopt-A- Blogger came out today!

adopt2

We’ve been paired with Hopie's Kitchen – a blog I already know and love. We’ll be making a post highlighting Hopie’s blog from Paris soon. How many Americans do you know who live in Paris and write a food blog bilingually? None? Well – now you know one. Go check out Hopie’s Kitchen!

StumbleUpon

18 comments:

Lore said...

Such a cute squash! I love all the courgette/zucchini/squash patties and fritters out there and can't ever get enough of them. Thanks for feeding my craving and sharing your patty pan patties with Original Recipes!

Anonymous said...

I have so much squash these look great!

OhioMom said...

Great idea for making patty pan patties, I saved some seed from this squash and this idea will stay in my mind for next summer.

Julia said...

Your patty pan fritters look fabulous! Especially with the tomato dressing.

What's Cookin Chicago said...

What a great way to use squash! The squash look so cute :)

kat said...

Oh my version of squash patties came out so bad, yours looks so much better I'll have to try it.

Laura Paterson said...

I think "patty pan" is such a cute name for these - they aren't common over here!

Loving the fritters!

Deborah said...

I've only had patty pan squash once, and I really liked it. This sounds like a great way to serve it!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I really do!

Melanie said...

I've been wanting to try patty pan squash for a long time - this looks like a fun way to use it!! My kids will eat anything named "fritter."

La Bella Cooks said...

My family used to make these when I was younger....or at least something really similar. They always were delicious and yours look fantastic as well.

Nikki @ NikSnacks said...

Can I tell you that I laughed at the fact you didn't remember what you put in? "I know I sliced a tomato..." OK, I didn't laugh at YOU...just just you DID... or...didn't do. Oh, how I hope I haven't made you mad lol

PG said...

Hey Nik - didn't you just laugh at my torah cake disaster too? I'm either really funny...or really pathetic.

Either way - it's cool.

That Girl said...

I just started grated veggies this week. Next week I may even start using the food processor grating attachment.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would never have thought to make patties out of these little beauties:D

grace said...

i'm such a fan of alliteration. :)
meanwhile, i think i've tried every variety of squash in the world except patty pan. i just can't find any! your fritters look great. :)

Ivy said...

We don't get these little squash but I bet they will also be great with pumpkin.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I haven't seen these little squash anywhere? They look fab and Im sure taste fab too

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark