Monday, July 20, 2009

Plum Tart


The host of yesterday's dinner party doesn't do well with white flour. Since I was bringing the dessert, I decided to change up another of Ina Garten's recipes by replacing the all-purpose flour for spelt flour. It's really okay to make this change by doing the replacement of 1 cup of spelt flour for 1 cup of all-purpose flour.



Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour (I used spelt flour)
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
3/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
12 tablespoons cold unsaltd butter (1 1/2 sticks), diced
1 egg yolk
2 pounds firm, ripe Italian prune plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise (I used the larger black plums)

**I added about 3/4 cup of fresh blueberries to this too. I loved this addition and would do it again.
**Make sure you're using ripe plums or your tart won't give you the juice you need in this recipe and it'll be too tart (no pun intended :)


Preheat the oven to 400 F

Combine the flour, walnuts and sugar in a large bowl. Add the butter and the egg yolk. Mix, either by hand or with an electric mixer until crumbly (I tried the electric mixer and found using my hands much easier and faster)

Press 1 1/2 cups of the crumb mixture in an even layer into the bottom of a 9 1/2-inch springform or tart pan. Arrange the plums in the pan, skin-side down, to form a flower pattern; begin at the outside and work your way in.

Sprinkle the rest of the crumb mixture evenly over the plums. Bake the tart for 40-50 minutes or until it's lightly browned and the plum juices are bubbling. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and transfer the tart to a flat plate. Serve warm or at room temperature.






We served this with ice cream - a perfect compliment!!! StumbleUpon

14 comments:

That Girl said...

Fresh fruit desserts have been calling my name lately.

theUngourmet said...

I'm just loving plums right now!

Your tart is lovely! Ice cream would be great with it! :P

Dewi said...

Wow, this plump tart look utterly good!!!!

Steph said...

That's so interesting! I've never baked with spelt flour before.

grace said...

EXCELLENT call, adding blueberries. the color is simply stunning, and i'm sure they contributed great things to the flavors as well. lovely tart.

kat said...

I don't believe I've ever had a plum tart, it looks so good!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Can't wait for local plums Giz...I will be svelt when I use spelt!!!!!

Adam said...

Beautiful job on the tart, I can see the blueberry too, which take the color way up there :)

I'd be careful though, or else you're going to be the dessert person for every party.

I'd love to see you version of pierogi, I think it'll be cool.

OhioMom said...

I just ate a big big piece of Grace's carrot cake, but there is a corner left for a piece of this tart. Love the addition of blueberries :)

Hold the ice cream, because this treat stands alone!

Juliana said...

Love tart and even more when it is with fresh fruit...great that plums are in season now. Nice pictures!

Gloria Baker said...

I love this plum Tart, so delicious!! Gloria

Lori said...

Love fresh fruit tarts in the summer.

Lori Lynn said...

Sounds great! I'm sure it was a big hit.
Never baked with spelt flour (maybe because I never bake?) but I am going to share this with a friend who also doesn't eat white flour. thanx
LL

What's Cookin Chicago said...

I'd love to feature your blogpost for this month's Tasty Tools, where we are highlighting springform pans. Would it be okay to give you some blog link love and include you in the round up with a picture of your tart?

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark