Sunday, July 26, 2009

Zebra Pasta


As much as things change, they stay the same. I know, I know, it doesn't seem to make alot of sense. Remember being a small child (or having one) and seeing something you just HAD to have. Mommy mommy, puleeeeeez can I have it? I NEEEEED it! Although I must add here that Psychgrad was never like that but Actor Boy...well, he neeeeeeded everything and wanted everything and all of it was life and death at that particular moment. Now when we remind him he'll just say .. "Oh yes, and Psychgrad - she's the golden child". Good there's no sibling rivalry in my house.

Well, maybe Actor Boy gets his drama queen qualities from his mother (did I really say that?) But then...I guess that's why he's also an actor. Right. Getting back to point. I saw this zebra pasta and I went through one of those moments where I really needed to have this pasta. Am I the only one that thinks it's so very cool? I suspect that when Psychgrad heard my exuberance her response would have been "ok mom...whatever...it's nice".



I had no idea what to do with it so I made it up as I went along and the result was pretty interesting (in a good way).

Ingredients

1 pkg zebra pasta (probably only found in gourmet stores)
3 Tbsp olive oil
1 red pepper, sliced
2 portabello mushroom, sliced
2 anchovies
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
splash (or two) of balsamic vinegar

Boil the pasta until done. This pasta seems to cook much faster than normal bowtie pasta (about 8-9 minutes. Drain (I rinsed it so it wouldn't stick together)
In a medium size saucepan, let the anchovies melt down; add pepper, mushroom and cherry tomatoes

About half way through frying the vegetables, add balsamic vinegar and continue to cook for about 5 minutes. Add to pasta; top with feta cheese.

Note: I think you could add anything to this pasta and it would be delicious.



I'm sending this entry over to Amy of Very Culinary , our host for this weeks Presto Pasta Nights . StumbleUpon

23 comments:

OhioMom said...

..."Good there's no sibling rivalry in my house"

LMAO! And there still is in my family .. because it pleases me I tell each and everyone of them they are "my favorite", in front of the others :)

Never saw this type of pasta, will definitely be on the hunt.

Adam said...

I was at the grocery store the other day and pretty much heard that "I Neeeeeeed" thing a couple times. It made me chuckle a little :)

Does the pasta taste a little different, or it is all just color? Very cool.

giz said...

Adam - the pasta in fact is a little smoother and does taste a little different. The black in the zebra is created with squid ink so there's a hint of it in the pasta.

Dewi said...

Never seen this, sounds really delicious as I really like squid ink. My husband and my son never understood, why I would make squid dish without taking out the ink first. I told him that my mom never done that and I'll do the same because it tastes very unique and delicious (at least for me). They didn't buy it though. So, I am not sure how this pasta will be welcome at my home. Maybe when my 2 sisters come to visit, I'll make this. I know we will love it!

kat said...

It makes for a stunning presentation

theUngourmet said...

That pasta is so fun! What's in it that gives it that color?

Palidor said...

Interesting! I've never heard of (much less seen) zebra pasta.

grace said...

what an awesome product! i love when food is fun, and kudos to you for picking those bright red maters to contrast. black and white and red all over, and gorgeous!

Steph said...

Haha.. that reminds me when we were young and shopping at the mall. My brother would repeat the name of the toy he wanted during the entire time we would be walking until my mom bought it for him. The zebra pasta looks sooo cool!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I knew you'd find something delectable to make with your find. I'm not sure I would have been able to pass it up either:D

Bunny said...

Ok I've never seen anything like this Giz, I would have been intrigued as well and bought it. Did your kids fight?? My 2 fought like crazy when they were little they drove me crazy! Short drive I know! LOL!!

Deeba PAB said...

Take a look at athat...wow! never heard of Zebra pasta, but i sure can grab attention! Sounds delish to me Giz...YUM!!

Hopie said...

Wow what fun! I can see why you would need that pasta. I was going to ask if the taste was different but I see Adam beat me to it. Squid ink, cool!

What's Cookin Chicago said...

This and your recent recipes all look wonderful! That pasta is so cool! I've been on a slight commenting hiatus with my busy schedule lately... but it's great to catch up and see what's cooking in your kitchen!

noble pig said...

OMG I need it to! I would beg for it with all the drama you could imagine!

Gloria Baker said...

I never seethis pasta before, but I find so nice and look so yummy with the cheery tomatoes, beauty pic!Gloria

That Girl said...

I'm glad you paired it with the tomatoes - the red really makes the black and white pop!

elly said...

That's a very cool pasta! I like the simple ingredients/flavors you added and the red tomatoes look great with the noodles!

Joanne said...

You've got a great combination of flavors here. The zebra pasta is so cute!

The Food Hunter said...

That has to be the coolest pasta ever!

Lori Lynn said...

Haha! I had to have it too. It is in my pantry, but I have not cooked it yet as I cannot come up with a sauce.
Yours sounds great!
LL

Hillary said...

I'm a sucker for certain ingredients too. And I would have probably fallen for this zebra pasta too. What did it taste like? What was it made from?

Claudia said...

I really neeeeeeeed that pasta. Where can I find it? Tried Googling, but there doesn't seem to be an online source.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark