Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Tilapia and Market Fare


I visited the new area farmer's market. It's only been open for 3 weeks and totally a pleasure to shop at. The word hasn't spread too much yet and getting around and talking to the farmers is a pleasure while they still have the time to chat for a minute or so. I'm sure this market won't be a secret for long but for the time being it's not a crazy place to go to.

I found some beautiful heirloom tomatoes and the fragrance was fantastic. I decided to make a small salad of them combined with cucumbers completely without dressing. As you cut into them, they're so juicy that they actually dress the salad themselves. Absolutely mouth watering. Here are some of the other scenes from the market.










So shopping done, decision made about the tomatoes - now what for the main course. In the category of easy and good for you, I decided to combine the tomato salad with some mild tasting Tilapia. The prep on this fish dish was literally minutes and the result was terrific.



Ingredients

4 Tilapia fillets
1 tsp minced garlic
Juice of 1/2 large lemon
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Pepper (to taste)

Preparation

1. Spray non stick spray in an oven proof dish that holds 4 fillets. Set oven temperature to 400 F.
2. Wash filets and dry well with a paper towel.
3. In a small dish mix together the remaining ingredients.
4. Place filets in prepared dish and pour prepared dressing over top.
5. Bake filets in oven for approximately 20 minutes uncovered. StumbleUpon

11 comments:

Adam said...

I totally knew this was a Canadian market when I saw the maple syrup :) Those radishes are pretty nice too, though.

Lemon juice and fish is so quick and so killer. I like to keep it simple like that too. You guys deserve simple after all the wedding extravaganza :)

kat said...

Looks like a nice market for sure. & I really like the simple fish preperation.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I just love visiting the market!!!! We have many choices on different days but most feature crafters and artisans as well. It is always fun to browse.

Heather S-G said...

That's a beautiful plate of food! Just seeing Farmer's Markets makes me happy...not as happy as being at one, but happy none the less :D

grace said...

of all the fish i've tried, tilapia is the least offensive. :)
beautiful shot of the market goods--i'm jealous!

OhioMom said...

I LOVE my farmers market, nothing like meeting the people who grow your food :) I look forward to Saturdays, this time of year so much is available I want "one of each"!

That Girl said...

I feel like although there are thousands of miles between us, our farmer's market trips make us almost the same person.

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I wish I could get my hands on those fava beans! They look so plump and fresh! You can't beat fm's produce.

Dewi said...

I like tilapia, but I don't cook this fish that often. My husband and my son really don't like tilapia. Your recipe sounds really really simple and delicious.

noble pig said...

Lovely choices over there. I haven't visited the market in my new town yet but I'll get there!

alexandra said...

This looks like a perfect summer meal. So fresh and delicious. Can't beat the farmers' market offerings!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark