Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Three Cheese Sweet Kugel


As my mother (baba as she's known on this blog) ages and it gets harder and harder for her to cook for herself we're finding that if she doesn't have a prepared meal, her eating habits are pretty dismal. Cooking for her isn't always easy either since she's probably the fussiest eater I know and prefers to stick with vegetarian options.

Today I decided to make something for her that would remind her of her European heritage. A three cheese kugel (noodle pie) still gets her the protein she needs and at least it won't be something she's going to give me a "stink face" about.



Ingredients

12 oz. broad noodles
1/4 lb. cheddar cheese (1 cup grated)
4 oz cream cheese
3 eggs
1 1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup margarine
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup corn flake crumbs
cinnamon and brown sugar

Prepare noodles. Drain

Grate cheddar cheese either in food processor or with box grater.

Steel Knife: Process cream cheese with eggs until smooth (20 seconds) scraping down sides once or twice.
Add all ingredients up to corn flake crumbs and mix well. Place in a well greased 9x13" pan.
Sprinkle with corn flakes, cinnamon and brown sugar.

Bake at 350 F for 1 hour until golden brown.

A kugel can be either a side or a main and this one is so easy and really delicious. I topped it with some low fat sour cream and fresh raspberries. StumbleUpon

15 comments:

Hopie said...

Sounds like an interesting combination - cheesy and sweet!

Hindy said...

Oy, a kugel. I could eat. ;)
Great looking recipe. Sounds like a keeper.

Julia said...

Gosh, I'm trying to think if I've ever had a cheese kugel! It looks great and I think I need to try this. Did Baba like it? If not, you can always care package it for me :)

Adam said...

I've never had kugel, but it sounds pretty interesting. It has a little savory, and a little sweet in there. We do something similar with cabbage, and it's quite tasty too. I'm glad our heritages often cross paths :)

kat said...

Yum yum yum that wouldn't get stink face in my house either

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

My own dad gets fussier as time goes on. It must be in the taste buds. He makes his own ice cream eliminiating cream, eggs and sugar..what is left I ask:D

Dewi said...

I like Kugel, very rare that I make this delicious treat. Yours with 3 different kind of cheeses sounds really delicious.

grace said...

i get ridiculously excited about kugel--it's such a unique dish, and its history is so rich. lovely recipe, giz!

noble pig said...

Oh how I love kugel, I'm sure she appreciated this dish beyond words! Love the berries on there too!

That Girl said...

Baba's eating habits are exactly like my mom's....without the excuse of age.

theUngourmet said...

I have never tried this. It looks delicious with the fresh berries on top! I hope baba enjoyed it.

giz said...

Update on the baba factor - she said "why did you do that?"...and then quickly put a piece on a plate to warm up for her lunch.

Juloiana said...

I never had a chance to try kugel...sounds and looks so yummie!

Dharm said...

Oh Yum! This sounds so inviting. I've never had a kugel before and this looks just superb.

Steph said...

That looks really interesting. I've never eaten kugel before. I love the raspberries!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark