Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blintzes


A few days ago Psychgrad and I seemed to be making similar recipes. Psychgrad posted salad and then I did...she posted soup and then I did. So, Psychgrad seemed to think that if she was my inspiration, then perhaps it would be good to plant a suggestion for a dish that's been a long time favourite of hers. See the comment here. Okay - I got the hint. If this is the motivation she needs to come for a visit - unfortunately Psychgrad lives several hours from me - then I'm happy to oblige.

Here are the blintzes you ordered.

Blintzes are not new. They are simply a dish one might see in many cultures, in a variety of forms with an endless number of fillings. Historically in pre Christian times, this dish had significance as a symbol of the sun and the changing seasons. With this significance in mind, I am submitting this recipe to Ben's Food for Plastic II Challenge.



Even though we're still a couple - ok a few - weeks away from spring, I hereby announce that I'm so done with winter. Bring on spring!! Bring on the blintzes!!



Crepes



2 eggs
2 tblsp oil
1 cup milk
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
butter (for frying)

Cheese Filling

2 cups pressed cottage cheese
1/2 cup light cream cheese
1 egg yolk
2 tblsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla
juice of 1/2 lemon

To Make the Crepes:

1. Beat eggss, oil and milk very well.
2. Add flour and salt
3. Refrigerate for at least 1/2 hour (this is a crucial step)
4. For each blintz, melt approximately 1 tsp butter in a 7 inch skillet. If you're using a non stick pan you really only need to do this once or twice.



5. Pour about 1/3 of a soup ladel (approximately 3 tblsp of batter into the heated skillet and working quickly spread all around the surface of the pan.



6. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned on one side (about 1 1/2 minutes).
7. Flip to second side for about 30 seconds - 1 minute.





To Make the Filling:



Note: Many people prefer to use straight cream cheese - I think the texture and the calorie count using a combination of more pressed cottage cheese and some cream cheese gives the final product a nicer texture.



1. Mix all ingredients together until smooth.


2. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Process:

1. Put a heaping tablespoon of filling on the lower quadrant of the crepe. I like to put the filling on the side that's done more since you fry the other side again.



2. Fold the bottom part of the crepe over the filling towards the centre


3. Fold both sides towards the middle.



4. Roll blintz creating the configuration you like as you roll.



5. Continue #2-#4 until all batter has been used (you should get 12-14 crepes from this recipe - it's fine to double the recipe, just double the filling recipe too)



To Serve:
1. Warm blintzes in 1 tsp of butter in skillet.
2. Add any topping you like - strawberries, blueberries, sour cream



Psychgrad: I saved you some



That was mean - I actually did save some for Psychgrad - in the freezer for when you come to visit. How motivated do you feel now?



Note to Psychgrad: I've saved this set of Disney glasses for you since you were 8. I'm thinking maybe you really don't want them (who says I'm not a quick study). Maybe I'll just save them for my grandchildren...hint...hint...hint!!!



Mickey says bye bye!!! StumbleUpon

14 comments:

Pixie said...

Giz, you make me really miss my mom, I wish she was only 2 hours away!

These look great and I've starred it, yummmy, I'm looking forward to making them

giz said...

Pixie - I could send you things virtually - like a virtual mom :)
Ben - thanx for visiting and free is my favourite price tag

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

I love crepes! I just recently made some on my snow day, but yours look even better!

Peter M said...

Okay help me...what's the diff between blintzes and crepes?

giz said...

Good question Peter - I could be wrong but the crepe is the outside envelope and the blintz is the finished product with the filling on the inside.

Anonymous said...

Wow these look absolutely amazing! And you make it look so easy!

Chef Jeena said...

Hi there Micky my name is Jeena and I have started a food recipe forum that I thought you would like to join here Click here for food recipe forum

I would love to see you on there to chat about food and cooking you can talk about anything you like and start your very own topics. :-)
or see my main food recipe website Jeenas food recipe site

Hope to see you soon

Thanks

Jeena x

test it comm said...

I have never had a blintze before but they sound really good! Bookmarked

Irene said...

Ooh, yum! My grandma fills them with farmer's cheese and golden raisins. And puts raspberry sauce over them. That's some good stuff, I tell you!

giz said...

Irene - thanks for visiting - I've had them with farmer's cheese and raisins and you're right they're amazing and I also really like the raspberry sauce idea.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had blintzes since my ex-husband's grandmother died (um, about 20 years ago). Yours look just like hers did... and bring back lovely memories.

giz said...

ann - what a lovely thing to hear -now I'm all farklempt

Anonymous said...

Blintzes! Excellent!
These look wonderful! :)

NĂºria said...

Congratulations!!! That's a well deserved prize. Good job! Your Blintzes look wonderful♥

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark