Friday, March 7, 2008

Red Curry Thai Beef


PLEASE - for the sake of my sanity (and many others out there). No more snow! Another (up to) 50 cm expected this weekend. Bloody hell. I keep seeing summer-like recipes and my snow-covered bbq is feeling sorely neglected (well, I am extrapolating based on my my most recent conversation with my bbq).

But, these flowers from R do help. If I stare at them on my table without blinking (to the point of getting tunnel vision), I can pretend that it's summer and the flowers are in full bloom.

Tonight I'm going out for dinner with my curling team (click here for my explanation of the wonderful game of curling). We'll be going to an Italian restaurant in the Little Italy area of town. Hopefully, I'll get some good shots of the food. It's always a bit tricky to start taking pictures of your food in a restaurant. Do you have any smooth ways of getting your companions to be patient while you take pictures of their food? I don't tell people about my food blog - so how do I even justify taking a picture of their food?

*****************************************************************************
As you know, I'm at the beginning stages of discovering food. I still remain fussy about some food. But, I'm trying to break free of the habit of assuming that I won't like food I haven't eaten. For example, I recently discovered that I really like Thai food. Below is my attempt to make Red Curry Thai Beef. It looks good. But the red curry sauce wasn't very flavourful. So - my dear bloggy friends. Do you know how to make a good red curry sauce? I hear that homemade is way better than the store bought kind (isn't that's always the way). Links to good recipes are welcome!

Here's the recipe I followed (I doubled some of it):

500g lean beef strips (I probably included more)
1 tbsp thai red curry paste (doubled)
1 tbsp fish sauce (doubled)
300ml canned coconut milk (used a 400ml can)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp Brown sugar
1 tsp crushed garlic (doubled)
cremini mushrooms
red and green pepper

Directions:
Mix the beef strips with oil and garlic. Heat wok on high. Stir-fry the beef strips in batches 1 minute, removing each batch when cooked.

Before returning beef strips to wok, add sliced mushrooms and peppers with a sprinkling of water. Stir for 2 minutes.



Return beef strips. Add curry paste, fish sauce, coconut milk and brown sugar. Toss to heat through.




Then serve with boiled rice and fresh basil leaves (still couldn't find any in the grocery store).



StumbleUpon

8 comments:

Peter M said...

Coconut/curry is one of the best food pairings, nicely done.

test it comm said...

I really enjoy Thai style curries as well. The way the curry mixes with the coconut milk and then it soaks the rice with flavour as well.

Larissa said...

I love love love curry. This looks great!

Pixie said...

My husband is more of the curry paste expert, I'll ask him and come back to you on that one.

As for photographing your friend's food...hmmm, just say you're experimenting in the kitchen and you love the look of their dish and must take a picture of it to recreate it??

Love thai food, am glad to hear you're giving it a try.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

The flower picture is so pretty! The curry sounds really good, especially with the coconut.

giz said...

Psychgrad - I'm totally impressed -I would have bet money you would never eat this.
Re the red curry paste - I picked some up at a Korean grocery store and found it to be pretty potent. The 1 tblsp in your recipe is probably a starting point - I usually just keep adding until I get the desired heat.

Nora B. said...

Hi there,
I don't have a recipe for thai red curry paste, how about green curry instead? Here is a good one:
http://nourish-me.blogspot.com/2008
/02/three-eggplants-one-curry.html

Nora

PG said...

pixie - that would be great! The idea regarding photos is good - but I take photos a lot of photos - so I don't know how long that cover would work.

nora b - thanks for the link...and for visiting!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark