Saturday, March 8, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cake


I've been so good - really I have. I've been watching my carbs, keeping up the exercise, going to yoga faithfully, getting the right amounts of fruit and veggies, drinking lots of water and then KABOOM!!!! While watching mindless t.v. I had this craving - you know the type I mean - a craving that literally drives you off the couch and into the kitchen to look through ingredients to see what's lurking in the cupboards and screaming out for centre stage appearance.

I think subconsciously I was remembering an event I attended last night that had great promise to be an evening to remember. It was one of those get all dressed up events, pay an enormous amount of money to attend, go crazy at the open bar and get served an incredible meal. Some of the expectations were satisfied. I knew the theme was going to be retro and the decor was so fun. Here's our table centre - isn't it just creative genius?



The meal was a bit of a letdown - just really average and unworthy of taking a picture. The dessert was rather interesting. The little square on the tart is actually a square of chocolate.



Oh yes, back to the what's in the cupboard and my sweet craving. I was fortunate enough to find all the ingredients for something that I haven't made in literally years but always loved. Chocolate Zucchini Cake - that actually takes me back in time (hence the connection to retro).

Your usual suspects:



Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt (I used 1/2 tsp)
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
3/4 cup oil
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup nuts or raisins (I used raisins - was thinking of Psychgrad who generally doesn't like nuts and really likes raisins)
1/2 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar (I used 1/4 cup and it was fine)
Chocolate chips (2 or 3 good handfuls)

Process:

1. Butter and flour 9x13" pan
2. Blend all dry ingredients and raisins (or nuts)
3. Beat eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and zucchini in a separate bowl. (use a larger bowl)
4. Add dry ingredients to mixture alternately with milk.
5. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
6. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes - 1 hour (50 minutes was perfect for me)









Note: This cake is deceiving. You wouldn't think it would be as chocolatey as it is but it has this rich round flavour that satisfies both a carb and a chocolate craving. I'm typing this post from my treadmill (just kidding) StumbleUpon

8 comments:

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Looks delicious! I always make zucchini bread during the summer, when zucchini is readily available.

brandin + kari said...

Wow...this looks deliciously retro! I love zucchini bread and I love chocolate, but never thought about putting them together! Thanks for the recipe.

Pixie said...

Anything with a vegetable in it is deemed healthy and good for you.

I've yet to try a zucchini cake- sounds very interesting and looks yummy. Am really curious about this one...yep it needs a star too.

Rosie said...

WOW this looks delicious and with a veggie added too just perfect!!

Great recipe thanks for sharing :D

Rosie x

test it comm said...

That chocolate cake looks good. Using zucchini in it sounds interesting. I will have to try baking with zucchini.

kellypea said...

Haven't had zucchini cake in years, let alone a chocolate version. It looks like it could really hit the spot though...Dangerous things lurking in your kitchen, indeed!

Anonymous said...

This looks fantastic! Our little boy is what we call a "pastararian" - he will only eat pasta and rice and bread and of course cake and cookies. We're going to have to give this a try - today we actually made chocolate and beet cupcakes and they went over well. Adding zucchini is another wonderful idea!

Belle

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm chocolate zucchini cake. I haven't tried making that yet. Yours looks great!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark