Sunday, March 16, 2008

Hot Sauce - The Perfect Condiment




An absolutely easy peasy recipe. All you need is a blender and some mason jars. I like to use the jam size jars. I tend to give alot of hot sauce away as gifts and have earned a good following of neighbours who let me know when their supply is getting low.

For One Batch - about 4-5 jars

2 cups ketchup
3/4 cup regular mustard
4 cloves garlic
1 tblsp salt
1 cup vinegar
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp dry chili peppers
1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice
1 heaping tblsp parsley flakes

Put everything into the blender - mix for a couple of minutes until well blended.

Wipe your brow - you worked hard.
Fill jars.

Note: I generally make about 20 jars at a time so I make sure to buy the large tin of ketchup and the large container of mustard.
The longer the sauce sits, the hotter it becomes
If you like things really spicy, add more chili peppers StumbleUpon

5 comments:

Pixie said...

This is wonderful giz, it reminds me of how my mum makes jars of sauce and keeps them in her fridge. Sometimes, we get lucky and she'll give us a jar!

PG said...

I have half a jar left...hint hint.

That Girl said...

Is this more similar to a tabasco hot sauce or an asian hot sauce? My husband/brother/father are all addicted to sriracha...I wonder how they'd take to this...

giz said...

kate - I'd say it's somewhere in between - a little sweeter than a sirrachi sauce but just as hot

eatme_delicious said...

Interesting! I've never though of making my own hot sauce. Not that I ever really eat hot sauce but some of my family members love it so this is a great gift idea! Thanks. :)

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark