Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Farfalle with Sausage, Artichokes and Sun-Dried Tomatoes


Slowly, but surely, I am making my way through the list at the bottom of the sidebar. I have another 50 or so recipes starred in my Google. At this rate, I'll need 3 lifetimes to get through all of the amazing recipes I see on your blogs on a daily basis.

The inspiration for my submission for this week's Presto Pasta Roundup comes from Confections of a Foodie Bride. It is originally a Giada recipe.



Farfalle with Sausage, Artichokes, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes

1/2 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced, 2 tablespoons of oil reserved
1/2 lb mild Italian sausage (I used spicy)
8 oz artichoke hearts, quartered
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
8 oz farfalle pasta
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan, plus additional for garnish
2 Tbsp fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 Tbsp fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
8 oz mozzarella, cubed (optional - I didn't include)
Salt and freshly ground pepper (with the sausage, artichoke and parmesan cheese, I don't think this recipe needs more salt)

Heat the oil reserved from the tomatoes in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown, breaking up the meat into bite-size pieces with a fork (I cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces to begin with), about 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage to a bowl. Add the artichokes and garlic to the same skillet, and saute over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes. Add the broth, wine, and sun-dried tomatoes (I also added sliced mushrooms at this stage). Boil over medium-high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta in boiling water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes. Drain the pasta (do not rinse). Add the pasta, sausage, parmesan, basil, and parsley to the artichoke mixture.



Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed by the pasta. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve, passing the additional parmesan cheese alongside.



Verdict: This recipe is great! I used artichokes packed in oil. I'd like to try this with fresh artichokes in the future. I find that pasta dishes aren't always well-proportioned with the sauce recipe. This wasn't a problem for this recipe. The chicken soup and white wine base combined with the other ingredients make for a perfect combination, consistent flavour but not greasy. As someone who doesn't tolerate cream sauces well and is getting tired of tomato-based sauces, this combination is a great option. StumbleUpon

13 comments:

Peter M said...

I think the philosophy behind jarred artichokes is convenience ingredient goes with a quick pasta.

If you're going to take the time trimming the artichokes, use them for a more ornate dish.

That doesn't mean this pasta ain't good, it sounds wonderful and Giada does come up with gems like this.

Anonymous said...

farfalle is my favorite shaped pasta. Works so well with the other ingredients. I LOVE artichokes!

Anonymous said...

This is our second favorite recipe of hers, right behind Dirty Risotto :) Glad you enjoy it as much as we do!

That Girl said...

That looks fantastic! Of course, I've never met a Giada dish I didn't like.

PG said...

Peter - true...but I am finding that the artichokes in oil are greasy and sometimes a bit dried out on the outer layers.

katie - I like cavatappi but have been rediscovering farfalle as of late.

shawnda - thanks for the great recipe!

kate - actually, I don't make many Giada dishes...but may start making more after this one.

Ruth Daniels said...

Great dish and I love your spin on it. I'm all for artichokes in a jar, I often drain them and stick them under the broiler for a couple of minutes to add a special roasted flavor.

As for farfalle, I love it but the name will always be "bowties" to me. Bowties and Kasha was a staple growing up.

Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Looks great! I love Giada's show on food network! Everything always looks so yummy!

Vicarious Foodie said...

This sounds (and looks) delicious! I always have good luck with Giada's recipes. Then again, I'd probably like anything as long as it was mixed up with pasta and cheese.

test it comm said...

That pasta looks tasty. I like using Italian sausage in pasta as they add a lot of flavour.

Anonymous said...

Artichokes go so wonderful with pasta..I think the packed ones(or frozen) work beautifully. Looks delicious!
ronell

Anonymous said...

Artichokes go so wonderful with pasta..I think the packed ones(or frozen) work beautifully. Looks delicious!
ronell

Pixie said...

This looks so yummy and wonderful use of ingredients for a very tasty dish!

Nina Timm said...

My daughter loves pasta so I am always eager to try out new recipes. This one is a must.

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark