Saturday, June 28, 2008

Barley Pilaf with Toasted Garlic (a la Christine Cushing)




Here's another of Christine Cushing's recipes that you can find on Food TV Canada. Although I tried to load the link, it seems it has been archived but available through a search on the site.



Pilaf is a dish in which a grain, such as rice or cracked wheat, is generally first browned in oil, and then cooked in a seasoned broth. Depending on the local cuisine it may also contain a variety of meat and vegetables. Pilaf and similar dishes are common to Middle Eastern, Central, South Asian, Latin American and Caribbean cuisine.

Ingredients

Toasted Garlic



3 to 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
3 Tbsp olive oil (45 ml)

Barley Pilaf



1 small onion
3 Tbsp of toasted garlic oil (from the toasting garlic) 45 ml
1 carrot, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 cup pearl barley (250 ml)
several sprigs of thyme, chopped
1/4 cup white wine (60 ml)
2 3/4 cup chicken stock (675 ml)
1 bay leaf
coarse salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
handful chopped fresh parsley

Directions

Toasted Garlic

1. Add olive oil to a saute pan over low heat. When oil is warm, add garlic slivers and cook carlic until just golden, about 5 to 10 minutes. Make sure the oil doesn't get too hot or else the garlic will brown too much and turn bitter. Set aside to use in barley. Reserve the toasted garlic oil to cook the barley.



Barley Pilaf

1. Add 2 Tbsp. oil from the toasted garlic to a mediu saucepan over medium heat.

2. Saute onions for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.



3. Add carrot and celery, saute for another 2 to 3 minutes.



4. Add 1 Tbsp oil from the toasted garlic, if needed. Add the barley, thyme and cook for 1 minute.

5. Stir in and coat the barley in the oil. Add wine and let reduce for 2 minutes.



6. Add stock and season with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil and stir.

7. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer on low heat for 25 to 30 minutes, or until barley is tender.

8. Remove from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Stir in parsley. Garnish with toasted garlic and serve.



This is an extremely aromatic dish just packed with flavour that I will most certainly be making over and over again. It's easy to make and each flavour is entirely distinguishable. Better than very good.


We're at the half way mark and it's getting even more exciting seeing some of the submissions that are coming in. Remember, it doesn't necessarily have to be low fat, it should be reduced fat dishes to make it healthier. Submission deadline is July 21st. StumbleUpon

10 comments:

That Girl said...

What a great way to use up those random bags of barley that always end up in my pantry.

Anonymous said...

OMG I have this barley just staring at me everytime I open the cupboard! I must make this.

Peter M said...

IMO, barley is under-rated, underused despite it's good taste and affordability.

CC can crank out simple, tasty plates.

Elly said...

Yum, looks so tasty! I absolutely LOVE barley and I agree with Peter that it's underrated. I make a really similar barley pilaf and add mushrooms. Sometimes I will even add some diced up chicken for a really easy and healthy whole meal.

grace said...

mmm...garlic. this looks amazingly healthy and delicious! meanwhile, i love the giant chicken in that photo. any idea where i can get one for my living room? :)

shambo said...

This does look so good. I'm another one who loves barley.

Melissa said...

What a perfect dish!

And I can't wait to submit to the contest. Been brainstorming quite a bit.

Dee said...

I'm so glad you said reduced fat. I tried my best but still ended up 3 kinds of cheese in my lasagne :( I don't know if it qualifies but I'll still submit it.

Will let you know when I post.

Your barley pilaf looks really yummy. What would you serve it with?

Laura Paterson said...

Just my kind of dish, I love barley! I'd make a huge portion of it, and save half for lunch the next day!!

Ruth Strong said...

pilaf is one of those things on my to do list.... i think i'll move it up the list now i've seen this!!!! looks really tasty!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark