Friday, June 13, 2008

Strawberry Banana Custard




It's a smart baking day. Of course I think every day is a smart baking day but today particularly so since I decided to make several recipes beginning with the same basic custard.

Ohio Mom at Cooking in Cleveland is hosting the Strawberry Moon Festival giving homage to this wonderful berry that we see locally for such a short period of time in the spring. If you haven't visited Ohio Mom, there's no time like the present to have a peek at her blog - you'll find it full of fun and great recipes. I'm entering the Strawberry Banana Custard to this roundup.


Strawberry Banana Custard

Custard

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups 2% milk
1 (4-inch) vanilla bean, split lengthwise
2 large eggs, slightly beaten

2 bananas sliced
3 strawberries per dessert dish

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar and salt in large saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add milk, stirring until smooth. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into milk mixture and drop in the pod, too. Cook over medium heat 12 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly.

Place eggs in a large bowl, gradually add hot milk mixture, stirring constantly. Pour mixture in pan; cook over medium heat 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Discard vanilla bean

Note: I made this custard adapted from Cookie Baker Lynn:Anti-Diet Food


Assembly

1. Crush a couple of vanilla wafers into the bottom of a dessert dish

2. Cover with banana slices and strawberry slices (approx 1/3 banana for each dish)

3. Cover with layer of custard

4. Add another layer of sliced strawberries

5. Garnish with a strawberry StumbleUpon

21 comments:

OhioMom said...

Oh I like this, custard and berrys and bananas....yummy!

I might have to steal, um I mean borrow this custard recipe :)

Thanks Giz for joining the Strawberry Moon Festival.

That Girl said...

I am crying for you that strawberries have such a short growing season by you.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

i love love love custard anything

just beautiful

Michelle said...

Boy does this look good and would be very welcome in my home!

I feel a baking weekend coming on and wanted to pick up 2 bunches of bananas today but my market was sold out and at $.29 a lb too. DANG!!

Vicarious Foodie said...

Strawberry and banana is a great combination. I still have a ton of strawberries to use up--thanks for the recipe!

Elle said...

Oooh, I'd love that right now! It's beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Looks gorgeous, and very summery. And custard. . .great for a special dessert!

Cakebrain said...

Mmmm. This is a delicious-sounding combination! It looks so good!

Lore said...

I've never tried the strawberry-banana combination and am now kicking myself for that :). Sounds and looks really delicious!

grace said...

well, now you've done it. you said the magic word: custard. 'twas fate that led me to purchase those strawberries at the grocery store yesterday... :)

Anonymous said...

Goodness, this looks yummy! I bet this would work perfectly with my new mission to bake with my daughter - I can just have her do the assembly. The strawberries are so fragrant right now that it's impossible not to pick them up every time you're in the store. Thank for the great recipe.

xoxox Amy

RecipeGirl said...

Yummy. I absolutely love custard of any kind.

I just posted about a strawberry dessert, but didn't know about the food event :( I'll check it out!

Anonymous said...

This sounds perfect. My oldest son is a custard fanatic. He's always begging for more and something different. I'm going to make this for him.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I too have never tried strawberries and bananas and I don't know why I haven't thought of it before:D

test it comm said...

Strawberry and banana is a great combo for a custard!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love strawberries and just bought a bunch today, I will have to try this!

Anonymous said...

What a great event, we'll have to check it out, thanks!
I could eat bowls and bowls and bowls of this custard!

Anonymous said...

We picked up two quarts of extremely ripe strawberries at the CSA yesterday. Ann's already made jam but we need more ways to use 'em up! This one looks good.

glamah16 said...

I love strawberries and banannas but never considered them together in a custard! Terrific.

eatme_delicious said...

Mmm I loooove custard!

Ruth Strong said...

love the sound of this. Strawberries and bananas go so well together

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark