Saturday, June 7, 2008

Tried, Tested and True...Take Two


This is going to be a long(ish) post so grab your coffee or tea and spend some time with us. I promise it'll be interesting.

When the first Tried Tested and True event was created, we wanted to provide a forum for recipe sharing that people could go to when they needed something that was already proven, that wouldn’t fail and would shamelessly make them look great. We were truly blown away by the response we received for the event.

With the great success of the first event, we’re launching a second Tried Tested and True event. This time, we're attaching a cause of importance to us, organ donation.

Over the next little while, we'll be blogging about our experience with organ donation. We want this event to be both fun and a way of raising awareness about organ donation. So, if you have a story to share, whether it be your own or someone who is close to you, please feel free to do so!

For today, we're going to give you the VERY EXCITING (well, at least we're excited) details about this event:



We are asking you to submit your health-promoting tried, tested and true recipes. This can be any sort of dish - appetizer/soup/bread/main/dessert - your choice. But, it should be a low calorie dish, one that you've adapted from a higher fat to be a healthier choice, a vegetarian option, just to give you a few suggestions. Please don't feel restricted. Just think about a submission that's healthy and tastes good - that you would feed to someone you love knowing that you were promoting good, healthy eating.

The challenge is officially open at the moment of this posting and will close at midnight on Monday, July 21th (EST).

BUT...an exciting twist is: THERE WILL BE PRIZES! The top three submissions will each receive a prize package. How will we choose the winners, you ask? We are THRILLED to be announcing a guest celebrity judge!

It's CHRISTINE CUSHING!!!!

Christine Cushing is one of the trailblazers of the Food Network in Canada. For those of you who aren't familiar with Christine's work, not to worry, we'll be posting more information about her (including her recipes) over the next little while. You can also check out her website here.

Since Christine will be judging the recipes, we've asked her for her judging criteria. Here are her 5 criteria and the breakdown of her judging, out of 100 points:

1) Taste - It must taste great! ( 40 points)

2) Inventive use of wholesome ingredients - how interesting /unique is the process and or ingredients (20 points)

3) Reducing saturated fat content ( 20 points )

4) Ease of preparation and clarity of recipe - how accessible is the dish to make and are the directions clear and concise? ( 10 points)

5) Visual appeal ( 10 points)

Once all of the submission are in, we will be sending your recipe, along with a picture of your choosing to Christine after which time, she will pick the top three submissions.

A few more details...

Here are the rules

Post a dish that is heath promoting and a sure-fire hit in your home anytime from now (June 7) until the deadline, July 21th. The recipe must appear in full in your foodblog some time between today (June 7) and July 21th (the deadline). Links to previous posts will not be accepted (sorry guys). In your submission, link to this post (feel free to use the Tried, Tested and True Two banner, above), send us the details once you’ve posted your dish with "tried, tested and true two" in the subject line to: triedtestedandtrue(at)live(dot)ca by July 21th with the following information:

Your name:
The name of your blog and its url:
The name of your dish and a link to the relevant post:
The photo you would like to submit.

*Note* If you don't have a blog but would like to participate, send us your recipe and a picture along with your name.

A roundup of the recipe and announcement of the winners will follow shortly after the deadline.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST ....THE PRIZES



Below are some of the prizes up for grab. Christine Cushing has generously donated a selection of her products. There is also a variety of careware jewellery included as prizes. This is donated by Blue Marigold. Blue Marigold is a line of jewellery that Giz produces, where 50% of the profits go to a selected charity.






First Prize
: A signed copy of Christine Cushing's newest cookbook called Pure
1 Bottle of Christine Cushing's line of olive oil
2 Jars of Christine Cushing's new look tomato sauce
1 Awareness bracelet and matching earrings**

Second Prize: 2 Jars of Christine Cushing's new look tomato sauce
1 Awareness bracelet of your choice and matching earrings


Third Prize: 1 Jar of Christine Cushing's new look tomato sauce
1 Awareness bracelet of your choice

** Note: The treasure chest you see with the bling contains a collection of awareness jewellery. If you win one of the top three prize packages, you get to pick any design displayed on the website. To view the whole line of available bracelets please follow the link below:

Blue Marigold

Prize winners can look through all of the jewellery pages, no matter which charity it represents and select their choice. Prizes will be shipped anywhere in the world (please don't be from Antarctica).

We'll have more to share but I think we've said enough for one day.

ARE YOU EXCITED? We are! Looking forward to your entries!

StumbleUpon

39 comments:

Heather said...

Oh, I woulda saved my nabe for this! It's very healthy and vegetarian (and from me, that's saying a lot!). Well I have more than a month to come up with another.

Peter M said...

I guess Eggs Benedict is out of the question here? lol

The first event showcased alot of good dishes and this one has from swag, it's for a good cause and CC's in "da haus"! I'm in.

LyB said...

This sounds fun and challenging. I've just read about this event on IMBB and I've put my thinking cap on! :)

Lori said...

I am excited.... Now I have to think about which one to submit. Hmmmm I think I may already know!

What a great idea! I am definitely in on this one!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I'm wondering if I can make croissants with olive oil??? Just kidding. Great idea! We'll see if my bookmark helps me get organized with this.

Anonymous said...

I adore Christine Cushing--what a COUP!! And PRIZES!! I am totally in--very exciting. :)

That Girl said...

The pressure is on!!!! Although after I scared myself, I realized I had the PERFECT recipe!!!!

sunita said...

Hi Psychgrad, thanks for dropping by my space...and I really like the concept of this event...will try to participate :-)

Cakelaw said...

Excellent event choice!! I will see what I can come up with.

Hetal said...

Thats a wonderful concept....

Melissa said...

How totally exciting! I'm so glad I have over a month to do it too. ;) Look forward to taking part and seeing what everyone has to offer. Not only will I keep the recipes, but I can send them to my sister, who will love all the healthy submissions. Nice!

OhioMom said...

What a great idea, I will definitely be plotting, um I mean cooking for this event :)

Lori Lynn said...

Yes, very excited. Count me in.
Looking forward to getting to know more about Christine.

Anonymous said...

This sounds sooo fun! We've definitely got a great recipe to contribute here. What a great judge and great prizes! We're keeping our fingers crossed on this one....

Chibog in Chief said...

oh my goodness i will join definitely!!

Dee said...

Now this is what I call a challenge, and one my jeans will welcome! Since it's for great cause, I'm in :)
Thanks Giz.

Núria said...

Wow girls!!!!!!! I'm excited :D Wowwweeeee... what great prizes and what a great motive! Count on meeeeee :D

Concerning Organs donation, I think that Spain is one of the countries that donates more. I totally agree with this philosofy... we are all donating in our family.

Anonymous said...

Excellent event! I'll have to think about my converted recipes...

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW! This is great, you guys! I can't wait for the next TTT!!! I already have an idear... *rubs hands together* :)

Rosie said...

Excellent event and will have to see what I can come up with here..

Rosie x

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Coolness! I gotta see if I can come up with anything good.

Elle said...

Wow, what a great event! I'll do my best to get something in!

Y said...

Ooh low calorie.. might have to think hard about this one, considering the stuff I normally bake! hehehe

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I have to start thinking now - and just in time. We need to eat healthier now that we are back from vacation. Thanks for hosting!!!

Cathy x. said...

low calorie? healthy? possibly vegetarian? :'(
i think i might have to sit this one out boohoo! i have a secret crush on christine cushing but i love my fatty, inhumane meat and carbs even more *sob sob*

Neen said...

How. WICKEDLY. Cool! I'm so impressed that you ladies had the guts to contact a celebrity chef and ask her to judge your event. WOW! And she just said yes, just like that?

Ruth Strong said...

Hey I'm still thinking about what to do for this, though think i have an idea. Hope I get it done in time.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up Giz I will most defineately enter the Salmon in this event.

cc said...

Hey All! I'm impatiently awaiting your recipe entries. We Greeks tend to be impatient.

Your recipes don't need to be low fat as long as they are low in saturated fat, we're good. They do, have to taste great though.

Peter, the eggs Benny are out.

Good luck!

Christine Cushing

Ruth Strong said...

Hey ladies. I've been trying to email you my entry but it keeps bouncing back. My entry is:

Ruth E from Ruth's kitchen experiments
Pitta Sweet Chili Stir Fry pizza http://justaddeggs.blogspot.com/2008/06/tried-tested-and-true-2-pitta-sweet.html

I hope this is ok.

Looking forward to the round up!

sefa firdaus said...

Hi Ladies,
I've sent you my entry.

Anonymous said...

I have to get this together. I 'll be traveling for a bit and then get on it when I'm back!

Ivy said...

I just found out about your event from Val. Shall do my best to participate.

Deeba PAB said...

Am thinking...& also whole-heartedly support organ donation. Lemme see what I can cook up! Great idea..

suparna said...

Oh, i wanna try dis out n send a recipe but i stay in india n if i win, will i get the prize????
lol

giz said...

Suparna, part of the rules are that we will ship to winners anywhere in the world

Deeba PAB said...

Hello ladies...have just posted. Will mail you in the morning as it's really late at night here now. This is a beautiful event & I loved being part of it!! Have a great weekend...
http://passionateaboutbaking.blogspot.com/2008/07/pistachio-olive-oil-browniestried.html
Cheers Deeba

Anonymous said...

Just sent you my entry. I'll be looking forward to the round up :)

Mansi said...

hi there! just sent in my entry for the event. hope you received it in time!
http://funnfud.blogspot.com/2008/06/low-fat-strawberry-vanilla-cake.html

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark