Made this cake for a potluck. Note to self: do not bring leftover chocolate cake home.
Here is the recipe:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
½ tsp salt
1 cup margarine
1 cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp cocoa
1) Put soda and vanilla in buttermilk, and let sit.
2) Mix flower, sugar, and salt.
3) In saucepan, put margarine, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil. Pour over flour mixture and mix.
4) Add eggs
5) Add buttermilk, soda, vanilla mixture, and mix well.
6) Put batter in a greased 9 x 12 inch pan (or two round pans).
7) Bake @ 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes.
8) Ice cake while warm. This will melt onto the cake and form a fudge icing. (NOTE: I followed this instruction but would probably wait until the cake is cooled next time. The icing will still coat the cake if the cake is warm)
Melt 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate and 1 ½ Tbsp butter
½ tsp vanilla
3 ½ Tbsp milk
1 ½ cup icing sugar
Mix and ice while hot.