Monday, December 31, 2007

Shrimp Linguine


Since seafood is a relatively new discovery to me, I am always trying to find good new shrimp recipes. I'd also like to try muscles, scallops and more fish but as of yet, I haven't made the effort to go to a good fish market.

But, here is a recipe from the Barefoot Contessa that I make once in a while.



It's great both freshly cooked and for leftover lunches/dinner. I don't follow the recipe exactly. My variation in parenthesis.

Vegetable oil (I don't use this)
1 tablespoon kosher salt plus 1 1/2 teaspoons (I use about 1/2 tsp total)
3/4 pound linguine (I use whole wheat)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter (I use margarine....please don't kill me)
2 1/2 tablespoons good olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use about 8 cloves)
1 pound large shrimp (about 16 shrimp), peeled and deveined (I leave the tips on)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
1/2 lemon, zest grated
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
1/4 lemon, thinly sliced in half-rounds (I don't always include this)
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes

Drizzle some oil in a large pot of boiling salted water, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the linguine, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes, or according to the directions on the package. I also use spaghetinni.

Meanwhile, in another large (12-inch), heavy-bottomed pan, melt the butter and olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic. Saute for 1 minute. Be careful, the garlic burns easily!

Add the shrimp, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, and the pepper and saute until the shrimp have just turned pink, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat.

Chop the parsley (mine is only partially chopped here)



Add the parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice, lemon slices, and red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.



When the pasta is done, drain the cooked linguine and then put it back in the pot. Immediately add the shrimp and sauce, toss well, and serve.





I'm going to submit this post to presto past night round up. Hopefully it will be accepted at some point. StumbleUpon

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now That looks BomB!! Oh how I wish I could cook like that!! I love shrimp!

Larissa said...

I'm a sucker for shrimp and pasta. Mmmm!

Ruth Daniels said...

I love shrimp, I love the Barefoot Contessa and, now I have a new place to visit! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. I'll be looking for more pastas soon.

PG said...

s-girl - it's not a hard recipe, I swear! You should try it.

Larissa - if you have any good recipes, feel free to pass them on

Ruth - Does this mean I'm in for Presto Pasta? YES!!!

Bridget said...

Mmmm...that looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

Lovely dish, must be delicious :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! This looks soooo good!

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs
Share/Bookmark