Sunday, December 30, 2007
I had the shivers all day today and thought it would be just the perfect day to make a comfort food. Everyone has their version of stew - here's mine.
1 1/2 - 2 lb. stewing beef (I like to cut it small - cooks faster)
1/2 c flour
1 tbsp Mrs. Dash
1 tbsp Paprika
1/2 tsp parsley flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 onion diced
2 cloves minced garlic
2 carrots cut in coins
1 stalk celery diced (I really hate celery so I cut it so small you can't find it once it's cooked)
2 good sized potatoes large dice
1/4 cup ketchup
1. Mix flour, Mrs. Dash, paprika, parsley flakes, salt, pepper
2. Put olive oil in dutch oven to heat (approximately 4 tbsp)
3. Dredge beef in flour mixture and add to hot Dutch oven (if it starts to stick add a little more oil)
4. Once beef is seared on both sides, add onion and celery until onion is translucent
5. Boil water in a kettle and add to dutch oven to almost cover the beef. Turn heat down to a simmer.
6. Allow beef to braise for a while (1/2 hr or so), add garlic and carrots.
7. Add diced potatoes about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes before meat is done (the whole process is about 1.5 hrs.)
8. Mix in ketchup
9. Reseason to your taste.